Monday, September 27, 2010

Convo Barrier

Q: What do you call someone who speaks three languages?  
A:  Tri-lingual 


Q: What do you call someone who speaks two languages? 
A:  Bi-lingual


Q: What do you call someone who speaks one language? 
A: American


We are for sure feeling the communication gap between English and Korean.  Koreans have been so kind to want to help and attempt at speaking English.  We are trying very hard on our end as well but it's very difficult to discern when one word ends and when the other begins.  Each person speaks in their own dialect (kinda like how we have various accents as well as the "Tomato" vs. "tom/ah/to" factor).  


My (Becca) most embarrassing moment (which Jake loves to point out to new friends upon meeting them) to date was when I had been getting really confused with saying "Hello" and "Thank you".  I suppose it was because I learned them at the same time and they are each about 5 syllables in length thus resulting in a new found Korean word that came out something like "Hel-you".  I had really tried to practice on native speakers but I never quite mustered enough courage in time to get it done correctly.  We were living in the hotel still and I had decided- it was time.  I was taking the plunge.  I would master the art of saying hello.  I would force myself to greet the next native I saw in their traditional form.  Jake and I were going down the elevator for breakfast (according to Jake, you could see me repeating the correct phrasing with a very determined and dedicated look upon my face...). The elevator stopped and in walk two very tall African Americans.  We did the polite "what's up" head nod and the elevator continued.  A few more floors down, we picked up two white English speakers of whom popped in the quaint elevator with a jolly "Good Morning"...not exactly my best practicing folk.  Alas,  a few floors further the most petite elderly Asian looking man entered the elevator.  It was just the two of us in the central confines of the lift as the others hugged the walls.  My moment had arrived.  I bowed low and said "Ahn-Nyeong-Hah-Seh-Yo." I did it!  I swelled with pride and beamed with jubilation!  I finally felt like I had depleted the communication barrier by an ocean!  Everyone in the elevator could feel my warmth as I puffed up elatedly.  I knew they were so impressed with my awesome Korean lingo! I...was...the...Conqueror!!! The Master of Hello!  The tiny elderly Asian man sweetly turned to face me and as clear as a John Wayne movie said, "Yeah, I don't speak Korean. I'm from Tampa."  The entire elevator erupted with laughter except for myself who somehow managed to shrivel into the furthest corner while turning a very deep shade of mahogany!  One by one as they filed out of the lift they gave me a slap on the back or an encouraging giggle.   


To add further insult, I came down for breakfast two days later and two of the men who were present for my performance did the point, laugh and approach. "Hey, remember that time..." 



2 comments:

  1. hahahahahaaa!!!! Oh Becca, Thank you for sharing this story and making me laugh! :) I'm proud of you for trying!! Keep up the great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great Becca!! hahaha! BTW..you are a really good writer...you should make a book out of your Korean Adventures!

    ReplyDelete