Friday, March 18, 2011

Attempt and Fail

I really want to be able to bring some of my culinary experience from SK back to OK.  One of my favorite "snacks" here is kimbap.  Kimbap (or Gimbap) is the Korean version of sushi.  It is considered fast food and extremely inexpensive if you purchase it from a restaurant (dollar to won it's about $1.00).  Not to mention, it's really great for you! "Kim" means seaweed and "bap" means rice (and that's your language lesson for today).  


You can put anything you want to in the middle but some traditional items would be: korean radish, carrot, egg, spam (because it IS an essential meat in SK), cucumber, garlic, peppers, ground fish patty, spinach...and the list goes on!  I have literally had various locals stuff their personal kimbap in my mouth because they want me to "oooo" and "ahhh" and their selection of foods inside.


The potential spread: before


I wanted to make kimbap and let my Korean friends tell me how they would alter it to make it better.  I didn't get that far though because it popped on me....


I'll keep working and I'm sure by June I'll have it down!  

No comments:

Post a Comment