Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ya Who




Our school put on a Christmas play! The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was a huge hit and was performed 3 times for audiences! I was asked to be in the play as the opening poet/speaker.  The directors decided I had "a naturally bubbly voice" which I thought was the best compliment ever being a Kindergarten teacher- thus my character was born! I was a Who from Whoville and, in keeping with the Korean culture, named my character "Ya" (Get it? Ya Who..Yahoo...).  We had a lot of fun.  Jake designed the sets for the play and they looked great! The kiddos were so cute!   




Alicia doing my make-up


Almost full on Ya Who




Susan and me!
She did my hair (as well as all the other cast members and did a GREAT job!) !


***Jake and I rode the Black Banshee (our scooter) home from the play.  I had so much glitter and hairspray on that I decided to just ride home as Ya Who and shower in peace.  We were stopped at a light when another motor bike who was turning left directly in front of us got t-boned by a car! It was the worst sound I have ever heard!  The smell of burned rubber and screechy tires is by far a memory of ill things to me. Not to mention, being so close to an accident where you can hear the victims yelp!  The biker crashed into the drivers windshield and was thrown a good 15 ft where he rolled violently.  Immediately, I hopped off our bike and Jake zoomed out of traffic to park the scooter.  I ran over to the man, mind you still in my Ya Who apparel, and he gave me a look of terror.  We are pretty sure he thought he was dead but just couldn't decide where exactly he was when he saw me.  His pant leg on his right side was burned off from the pavement and, I believe, his first thought was to get away from the crazy looking lady.  Adrenaline set in, he got up and crossed over to his bike which was lying in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic.  I was right with him with my arms around his back.  He put his hands down on his bike and went white (yes, Koreans go white, too!).  He began to sway and I caught him as he began to pass out.  Jake was rushing to me to get him out of the road.  He was conscious enough to communicate (in what Korean we know) to move his bike out of the way.  We pulled him to the side of the road, Jake got his bike out of the lanes and began running initial vitals on him.  The lady who hit him was like what I picture mourners in Jesus' time.  People who are paid to make a scene.  She was nuts but her car was damaged as well so we moved it out of the way.  Traffic resumed but a huge crowd was forming.  Once the ambulance got there and the man was on the stretcher being zipped away to the hospital, we looked up saw that just as many people were gawking at "Ya Who" as the accident!  We very cautiously got back on our scooter having pictures being taken of us. We made our way home having a good laugh at what the biker's version of the story would consist of for years to come.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becca!! I just found your blog. I am sending you an invite to mine. It is lame and private so you have log in with your email. You make the cutest Who! I'm excited to watch your adventures here! :)

    ReplyDelete